SIRIUS for IO-Link
IO-Link – more than just another interface
IO-Link is a smart concept for the uniform connection of switching devices and sensors to the control level by means of a low-cost point-to-point connection.
The IO-Link communication standard below fieldbus level enables central error diagnostics and localization down to the actuator/sensor level, and facilitates both commissioning and maintenance by allowing parameter data to be dynamically changed directly from the application.
The increasing intelligence of field devices and their integration into automation as a whole allow data access down to the lowest field level. The result: greater plant availability and reduced engineering overhead.
As an open interface, IO-Link can be integrated into all common fieldbus and automation systems.
The advantages of IO-Link at a glance
- Engineering → reduced engineering times
- Standardized, open system for greater flexibility (non-Siemens IO-Link devices can be integrated in engineering)
- Uniform and transparent configuration and programming through integrated engineering (SIMATIC STEP 7)
- Freely available function blocks for SIMATIC for user-friendly parameterization and diagnostics, and read-out of measured values
- Efficient engineering thanks to pre-integration of Siemens devices into SIMATIC HMI
- Low error rate in CAD circuit diagram design as a result of reduced control current wiring
- Installation and commissioning → reduced commissioning times
- Faster assembly with minimized error rate as a result of reduced control current wiring
- Space savings in the control cabinet
- Low-cost circuitry where there are several feeders by making unlimited use of existing Siemens components
- High transparency in the system right down to field level
- Reduction of downtimes and maintenance times through system-wide diagnostics and faster fault correction
- Support for preventive maintenance
- High transparency through integration into energy management systems, reading out of current values and diagnostic signals
- Shorter changeover times, even for field devices, by means of central management of parameters and recipes
- Operation and maintenance → greater system availability
Transparency in processes thanks to IO-Link
High levels of system availability and data transparency are market requirements that must also be met when connecting innovative control technology to control systems. A systematic diagnostics concept and efficient handling of parameter data are required for this purpose in automation.
With the aid of the IO-Link communication standard, a communication link is established between switching device and controller, and this allows data to be exchanged efficiently. Based on a standard cable, it is therefore possible to integrate parameter, process and diagnostic data and measured values into the plant automation with ease. For example, the available diagnostic data allow potential errors to be detected quickly, thus avoiding lengthy plant downtimes.
As a consequence of their basic function, such as overload protection (SIRIUS 3RB24), many controls have measured values. The availability of these via IO-Link now allows conclusions to be drawn at an early stage concerning wear and tear in the application.
At the same time, the option of parameterizing via IO-Link supports the device not just when parameters concerning operating time are changed, but also when the device is replaced. With spare parts, for example, the parameters can be quickly transmitted to a new device via the communication system.