Siemens Simatic S7-1200
Siemens - SIMATIC S7-1200
A new controller class aims at minimization of cost and maximization of performance
Simatic S7-1200 is the latest member of Siemens mini-controller family, Its main feature is perfect interaction with both the new Simatic HMI Basic Panels and the engineering system. The programming, project planning and commissioning software is a totally integrated system, which sets whole new standards in engineering. In developing this controller, special attention was paid to its seamless integration and perfect interaction between controller, HMI and software. The new Simatic Step 7 Basic engineering system enables fully integrated engineering for both Simatic controllers and Simatic HMI Basic Panels. Task-oriented and intuitive editors in Simatic Step 7 Basic V13 provide a unique degree of user-friendliness and high engineering efficiency.
- The new modular miniature controller from the SIMATIC S7 family
- Controller with integrated PROFINET IO controller interface for communication between SIMATIC controllers, HMI, programming device or other automation components
- Communication module with PROFIBUS DP master interface
- Communication module PROFIBUS DP slave interface
- GPRS module for connection to GSM/G mobile phone networks
- Integrated web server with standard and user-specific web pages
- Data logging functionality for archiving of data at runtime from the user program
- Powerful, integrated technology functions such as counting, measuring, closed-loop control, and motion control
- Integrated digital and analog inputs/outputs
- Signal boards for direct use in a controller
- Signal modules for expansion of controllers by input/output channels
- Communication modules for expansion of controllers with additional communications interfaces
- Accessories, e.g. power supply, switch module or SIMATIC Memory Card
- The miniature controller that offers maximum automation at minimum cost.
- Extremely simple installation, programming and operation.
- Large-scale integration, space-saving, powerful.
- Suitable for small to medium-size automation engineering applications.
- Can be used both for simple controls and for complex automation tasks.
- All CPUs can be used in stand-alone mode, in networks and within distributed structures.
- Suitable for applications where programmable controllers would not have been economically viable in the past.
- With exceptional real-time performance and powerful communication options.
The SIMATIC S7-1200 is the controller for open-loop and closed-loop control tasks in mechanical equipment manufacture and plant construction. It combines maximum automation and minimum cost.
Due to the compact modular design with a high performance at the same time, the SIMATIC S7-1200 is suitable for a wide variety of automation applications. Its range of use extends from the replacement of relays and contactors up to complex automation tasks in networks and within distributed structures.
The S7-1200 also increasingly opens up areas for which special electronics was previously developed for economical reasons.
Application examples include, for example:
- Placement systems
- Conveyor systems
- Elevators and escalators
- Material transportation equipment
- Metalworking machinery
- Packaging machines
- Printing machines
- Textile machines
- Mixing systems
- Freshwater treatment plants
- Wastewater treatment plants
- External displays
- Electricity distribution stations
- Room temperature control
- Heating/cooling system control
- Energy management
- Fire protection systems
- Air conditioning
- Lighting control
- Pump control
- Security/access control systems
The SIMATIC S7-1200 family consists of the following modules:
- Compact controllers with graded performances in different versions as wide-range AC or DC controllers.
- Signal boards (analog and digital) for low-cost modular controller expansion directly on the CPU, with retention of the mounting space.
- Different digital and analog signal modules.
- Communication modules (RS232/RS485) for communication via point-to-point connection.
- Communication modules for connection of the controller as a PROFIBUS DP master or PROFIBUS DP slave.
- Communication processors for connection of the controller to mobile phone networks.
- Ethernet switch with 4 ports for implementation of many different network topologies
- PS 1207 stabilized power supply units, line voltage 115/230 V AC, rated voltage 24 V DC
- Rugged, compact plastic enclosure
- Easily accessible connection and control elements, protected by front flaps
- Removable connection terminals, also for analog or digital expansion modules
SIMATIC S7-1200 complies with the standards according to VDE, UL, CSA and FM (Class I, Category 2; Danger zone groups A, B, C and D, T4A). The quality management system used during production is certified according to ISO 9001.
The SIMATIC S7-1200 is equipped with different communication mechanisms:
- Integrated PROFINET IO Controller interface
- Point-to-point connection via communication modules
The integral PROFINET interface permits communication with:
- Programming device
- HMI devices
- Other SIMATIC controllers
- PROFINET IO automation components
The following protocols are supported:
- S7 communication
The following can be connected:
- Field PG programming device and PCs via standard CAT5 cable.
Connection between PG and CPU of SIMATIC S7-1200
- SIMATIC HMI Basic Panels
Connection between Basic Panel and CPU of SIMATIC S7-1200
- Further SIMATIC S7-1200 controllers
Connection of several devices via CSM 1277 Ethernet switch
Point-to-point interface, freely-programmable interface mode
Communication modules permit communication via point-to-point connections. The RS232 and RS485 physical transmission media are used. Data transmission is carried out in the "Freeport" mode of the CPU. A user-specific, bit-oriented communication protocol is used (e.g. ASCII protocol, USS, or Modbus).
Any terminal equipment with a serial interface can be connected, e.g. drives, printers, bar code readers, modems, etc.
Point-to-point connection via CM 1241 in programmable interface mode
The S7-1200 is characterized by:
Extremely simple starter solution:
Special starter packages and introductions facilitate familiarization.
Powerful standard commands which are simple to use, together with the user-friendly programming software, reduce the programming overhead to a minimum.
Exceptional real-time characteristics:
Special interrupt functions, fast counters, and pulse outputs permit use even with time-critical processes.
The SIMATIC S7-1200 meets national and international standards:
- UL 508
- CSA C22.2 No. 142
- FM Class I, div. 2, group A, B, C, D; T4A Class I, Zone 2, IIC, T4
- VDE 0160
- EN 61131-2
- Requirements of the EMC directive in accordance with EN 50081-1, 50081-2 and 50082-2